10. don't leave the tv on when you leave the house or go to a different room. i visited a friend's house this weekend. aside from the ridiculous fact that they have a tv in nearly every room, i kept finding various tvs left on - even when nobody was in the room.
9. don't go all high school and peel out when the light turns green. not only does it make you look like an a-hole, it's a waste of gas and tire rubber. relax a little behind the wheel
8. don't forget to draw your shades or blinds at home when it's really hot out. simply darkening the house can help keep the space cooler. that, in turn, will mean you need less a/c or whatever else you use to cool down.
7. don't underestimate the cooling power of some well placed fans. we've got a window unit a/c in our bedroom, but i think we've used it twice this summer. instead, we found that a box fan in the other window nearest the bed does a great job of keeping us cool. in fact, we usually wake at around 5am to turn it off, cause we're freezing our asses off by then.
6. don't drive when you can walk. pretty basic notion. go ahead, lace up the sneaks and smell the flowers. walking to the corner store or to a friend's place is really a nice change of pace. highly recommended.
5. don't neglect the little things on your car. inflate the tires to the proper pressure level. replace the air filter. these help conserve gas usage.
4. don't speed. i've been able to squeeze much much more out of my car this summer by driving around 60 mph on the highway. really, you need to experiment with lowering your speed. you will simply be amazed how much you can squeeze out of a full tank of gas at 60 mph.
3. don't leave electric appliances plugged in. if you have non-essential appliances plugged in but turned off, they could still be sucking down electricity. unplug the blender, toaster, microwave, etc when not in use
2. don't be caught unprepared for a power outage. buy some candles & make sure flashlights have fresh batteries. blackouts will become the norm in high demand seasons (summer especially)
1. don't forget conservation is something that can make a difference for your check book and for the world and it's one of the things you control. take back power!